Monday, June 24th, 2019 @ 8:00pm EST

SATA Port / Motherboard Help

Devraider · 1392

Devraider

• SR Casuals
  • Silent Refuse
    • View Profile
on: May 11, 2019, 01:24:01 PM
I got a new Motherboard ROG Strix B450-F and cant figure out what I'm doing wrong the Sata Ports show Empty in Bios I have a HD and 2 DvD hooked up to it

all it would do is start in bios and that's it so I put in the M.2 HD I got and it started installed windows and works but cant get the sata to see the dvd or HD

posting some pic if they might help

Devraider

• SR Casuals
  • Silent Refuse
    • View Profile
Reply #1 on: May 11, 2019, 01:25:06 PM

Devraider

• SR Casuals
  • Silent Refuse
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: May 11, 2019, 01:27:32 PM
didn't notice I could post more then one

Devraider

• SR Casuals
  • Silent Refuse
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: May 11, 2019, 01:28:55 PM
and Bios showing the empty and the M.2

Bah how do I rotate them
« Last Edit: May 11, 2019, 01:30:42 PM by Devraider »

Devraider

• SR Casuals
  • Silent Refuse
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: May 11, 2019, 04:46:57 PM
I have a feeling its cause I don't know what im doing =) was reading this about the board and not sure what it all means but see something about sata disabled

Storage Devices
SATA 6Gb/sAMD Ryzen 2nd Generation / Ryzen 1st Generation Processors: *
2 x SATA 6Gb/s port(s)

AMD Ryzen with Radeon Vega Graphics Processor: *
2 x SATA 6Gb/s port(s)

AMD B450 chipset:
4 x SATA 6Gb/s port(s)

* Support StoreMI and NVMe RAIDM.2AMD Ryzen 2nd Generation / Ryzen 1st Generation Processors: *
1 x M.2 Socket 3, with M key, type 2242/2260/2280 storage devices support (SATA & PCIE 3.0 x4 mode)**
1 x M.2 Socket 3, with M key, type 2242/2260/2280/22110 storage devices support (PCIE 3.0 x4 mode)***

AMD Ryzen with Radeon Vega Graphics Processor: *
1 x M.2 Socket 3, with M key, type 2242/2260/2280 storage devices support (SATA & PCIE 3.0 x4 mode)**

* Support StoreMI and NVMe RAID.
** When the M.2_1 Socket 3 is operating in SATA or PCIE mode, SATA6G_5/6 ports will be disabled.
*** When the M.2_2 is occupied by M.2 device, PCIe x16_1 will run at x8 mode.SATA RAID0/1/10

Scornfire

• Administrator
  • Silent Representative
    • View Profile
Reply #5 on: May 12, 2019, 09:54:33 AM
Did you try SATA 1/2?

Devraider

• SR Casuals
  • Silent Refuse
    • View Profile
Reply #6 on: May 12, 2019, 10:27:22 AM
I tried all of them

Rexa

• SR Members
  • Silent Resident
  • The Matrix Has You
    • View Profile
Reply #7 on: May 12, 2019, 11:48:50 PM
What power supply are you using? How many watts?

And the SATA cables... are you using the ones your stuff came with or old ones? Have you tried using a different SATA cables (you should try this). I once was trying to use old SATA cables on a new build, and swapping them around worked. And make sure everything is securely connected.

Lastly, the drive may not be enabled in BIOS and you'll have to enable it in system setup.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2019, 11:51:05 PM by Rexa »

Devraider

• SR Casuals
  • Silent Refuse
    • View Profile
Reply #8 on: May 13, 2019, 05:47:27 AM
750 w

used the new ones that came with it and even tried the old ones

this is the second board newegg has sent me same issue both times and down to like 4 days to replace again

have been on phone with asus with no luck yet

Im going to try to hook the hd and burner up in this computer to make sure they work still everything worked fine before the motherboard went bad in other computer

I put the old hd in this computer and nothing I ordered a new blue ray burner when that gets here  I will find out if I have wasted days on stuff that's all fried =) 
I thought it was just my old motherboard that went but maybe it was more then that
« Last Edit: May 13, 2019, 11:56:29 AM by Devraider »

Rexa

• SR Members
  • Silent Resident
  • The Matrix Has You
    • View Profile
Reply #9 on: May 14, 2019, 01:33:39 AM
How many things are you trying to connect to your board via SATA cables?

Just because your mobo has all these features, you might be limited to what your can actually connect all at once (at least for starting the PC up for setup)

Read this thread: https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?95186-ROG-Strix-B350-M-2-disables-SATA-Ports-5-and-6

Also, what SATA port is your HDD on? Is it on 1 or 2? Scorn even mentioned it. It can matter. Can you read the SATA port numbers on your mobo when looking at it? Or can you determine it based on the diagram/instructions that came with it?

Have you tried just hooking up 1 DVD and the HDD alone? I am assuming you need one DVD drive for the windows setup.

I have used nothing but ASUS boards. They are wonderful boards but can be a nightmare to setup sometimes.

Ranonman

• SR Webmaster and Admin
  • Administrator
  • Silent Representative
    • View Profile
Reply #10 on: May 14, 2019, 09:17:12 AM
You don't need DVD drive to install Windows. You can use bootable flash drive to install Windows. CD/DVD drive is so old. I don't even have one in my PC. :P

As for SATA drives, I can think of few things: are your SATA drives plugged in with SATA cable and power cable? Do you plug your power supply with all necessary cables? (There are different plugs like SATA, PCI, PS, Motherboard, etc.) You might miss one plug there. Also, make sure that your BIOS is still allowing SATA (it should be automatic.)

I have a feeling that you missed one more cable to Power Supply.

Ranonman
Level 110 Warrior
Played Since 2003

Devraider

• SR Casuals
  • Silent Refuse
    • View Profile
Reply #11 on: May 15, 2019, 07:16:03 PM
I should of just made a reply rather that edit last post or make a bigger space

It seems that maybe everything in old computer was toast I thought it was just the motherboard it was instantly shutting down
 I tried power supply first then even tried the switch on the case

I tried the hd in this computer and didn't get anything to show up I took another old hd and hooked it up and it showed up in bios and windows explorer bew bluray came in hooked it up it shows in bios and windows explorer

so I sent one mother board back and a lot of hours reading and trying stuff and even on phone with asus and here it all bad old crap =)

anyone know any tricks to retrive my eq set up off a what looks to be dead HD Corsair Neutron XT 240 GB that's the only reason I was trying to hook up the hd anyway I bought a M2 hd when I got motherboard

PS the dvd/Bluray are for burning
« Last Edit: May 15, 2019, 07:18:41 PM by Devraider »

Ranonman

• SR Webmaster and Admin
  • Administrator
  • Silent Representative
    • View Profile
Reply #12 on: May 16, 2019, 09:53:15 AM
You should look into hard drive dock. https://www.amazon.com/s?k=hard+drive+dock&i=computers&ref=nb_sb_noss_2

It's very handy tool if you want to plug USB dock in with hard drive in. Easy to access data and grab them at your desire.

You also should consider NAS: https://www.amazon.com/Computer-Network-Attached-Storage/b?ie=UTF8&node=13436301
if you want to store entertainment files into there and you can access NAS from anywhere in your house. Less dvd/blu-ray labor and more focused on digital storage option.

Ranonman
Level 110 Warrior
Played Since 2003

Ryino

• Class Leaders
  • Silent Resident
    • View Profile
Reply #13 on: May 16, 2019, 09:58:33 AM
For whatever reason I had some luck getting files off of a failing drive putting it in my linux box and mounting it there when windows would time out. This was the days of XP though so maybe different now. You could try booting with knoppix or something and loading it if nothing else works.

+1 for a nas or server though, makes everything a million times easier and you don't have to have a bunch of stuff slowing your gaming machine down.

Devraider

• SR Casuals
  • Silent Refuse
    • View Profile
Reply #14 on: May 19, 2019, 06:03:18 AM
Thank you will try that