News

Upcoming raids:
Sunday, June 9th, 2019 @ 6:00pm EST
Monday, June 10th, 2019 @ 8:00pm EST
Sunday, June 16th, 2019 @ 6:00pm EST
Monday, June 17th, 2019 @ 8:00pm EST
Sunday, June 23rd, 2019 @ 6:00pm EST
Monday, June 24th, 2019 @ 8:00pm EST

Need a little inspiration/advice for my emergency pc build.

Rexa · 446

Rexa

• SR Members
  • Silent Resident
  • The Matrix Has You
    • View Profile
So great news - I finished renovating my bathroom! Bad news - same day it was done my PSU fried and my CPU water cooler took a turn for the worse. I was going to run out and replace stuff, but I am reaching a point where I just want a new case and a new system. I really am tired of using my 10+ year old Antec nine hundred case (even though it served me well on quite a few different builds).

I am thinking the following I will definitely get in the next couple of days:

AMD Ryzen- either 3700x or 3900x
EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTU Hydro Copper 8GB Hybrid Cooler
WD Blue 3D NAND 250GB Internal SSD (for Windows, system shit)
And a WD 3D NAND 1TB Internal SSD (for games, Adobe CC, etc)
Two sticks of whatever Corsair RAM for 32GB total of RAM

My question to you all since I’ve been out of the loop on small motherboards and cases that mesh well together. What would you all recommend that you actually use for a similar setup? I was looking at some Corsair cube cases, but I can’t find anything in person to look at considering I have a short amount of time to put this together. I’ve also never done a micro ATX board ever if I go this route. I’m not looking to add anything else to this build except what I mentioned.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2019, 12:07:14 AM by Rexa »

Ranonman

• SR Webmaster and Admin
  • Administrator
  • Silent Representative
    • View Profile
Reply #1 on: December 22, 2019, 12:16:56 AM
You should look into MicroATX - Check Meshify Case out. Also, you shouldn't need water cooler for AMD cuz most games can run well with stock cooler. 3600x is pretty good deal right now. Also, check out mobo with m.2 slot. Then, you can get SSD m.2 drive as primary storage drive.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2019, 12:18:33 AM by Ranonman »

Ranonman
Level 110 Warrior
Played Since 2003

Rexa

• SR Members
  • Silent Resident
  • The Matrix Has You
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: December 22, 2019, 12:22:08 AM
Thanks Rano. There will be no water cooling for the CPU. I will use Whatever stock shit it comes with. What I really want to know is what microATX board is recommended for which case on a Ryzen cpu since I want something solid but these cube cases all seems to have minds of their own when it comes to which ones work better and front end USB compatibility
« Last Edit: December 22, 2019, 12:26:40 AM by Rexa »

Rorce

• SR Members
  • Silent Recruit
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: December 22, 2019, 01:39:46 PM
I personally dislike going with small cases, because they limit your possible future upgrades.  Graphics cards can be huge and require a lot of room.  Plus I personally like plenty of work space when setting up, adding, or replacing components.

Krinni

• SR Members
  • Silent Recruit
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: December 22, 2019, 04:29:25 PM
if you go 3900x they do run hot, its just how they are you gota figure they have a ton of cores, even the stock wrath spire prisum is barly enough for a 3900x. for ram go with the fastest speed you can get, amd gets a massive boost on ram speeds unlike intel get a min of 3200mhz

Rexa

• SR Members
  • Silent Resident
  • The Matrix Has You
    • View Profile
Reply #5 on: December 22, 2019, 05:02:03 PM
After some discord discussion and then going in person to a store, I ended up with a midtower case. The biggest problem with the Corsair cube case was that the video card would barely squeeze in (leaving only about a quarter of an inch space). There were other things that I couldn’t get so I settled on the following:

Corsair ICUE 465x rgb case
Asrock x570 phantom gaming mobo
Evga rtx2080 super ftw3 hydrocooler gpu
Samsung 250gb m.2 SSD
Corsair RGB 32GB Ram
AMD Ryzen 7 3800x

I’m not honestly that thrilled that I ended up with this, but let’s see what happens after I put it all together I guess.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2019, 05:03:52 PM by Rexa »

Ranonman

• SR Webmaster and Admin
  • Administrator
  • Silent Representative
    • View Profile
Reply #6 on: December 22, 2019, 08:45:54 PM
AMD CPU with G.SKILL RAM are the best experiences. You should look into G.SKILL.

Ranonman
Level 110 Warrior
Played Since 2003

Rexa

• SR Members
  • Silent Resident
  • The Matrix Has You
    • View Profile
Reply #7 on: December 22, 2019, 11:20:37 PM
Thanks for the advice in discord, too, Rano. Ditched the stupid cpu water cooling. I did get the Corsair ram since it gives me pretty lights 😂😂

Rexa

• SR Members
  • Silent Resident
  • The Matrix Has You
    • View Profile
Reply #8 on: December 23, 2019, 12:22:35 AM
Welp, these idiots at micro enter sold me the wrong GPU. This is why I hate relying on someone to go find and hand it over to me. Guess I’ll just have to use my old GPU to get me ready for the meantime  >:( >:(

Khur

• SR Members
  • Silent Refuse
    • View Profile
Reply #9 on: January 05, 2020, 10:00:45 PM
What GPU did they give you?